Our position on responsible gaming is clear – we want everyone who registers and plays on our websites to have fun and be entertained in a safe and responsible way. Our position in operating as a responsible and fair gaming operator is of paramount importance.
Responsible gaming is a key element of compliance and has been a continued focus across our Group. Our proactive approach seeks to go above and beyond legal requirements to protect our customers and give them the tools they need to play responsibly.
We make every effort to surpass the minimum regulatory requirements across our business units because we believe it is the right thing to do. All our websites are fully licensed and regulated ensuring our customers are guaranteed a safe, trusted and fair gaming experience with the highest levels of member protection.
To encourage our customers to play responsibly and provide them with the necessary tools, guidance and self-help links to help them become more aware and in control of their gaming. Among other measures, these include:
- Account deposit limits – can be set daily, weekly or monthly
- Session reminders and time played triggers – helps customers stay in control of how much time they spend playing
- Account closure – helps customers to close their account at any time
- Account cool off – helps customers take a break from our websites for a period of between 24 hours and six months (during which time an account cannot be accessed)
- Account self-exclusion – enables customers to take an extended break from their gaming and self-exclude for up to six months or permanently (during which time an account cannot be accessed or reopened)
- Account history – gives customers full access to their account, so they can view their deposit and withdrawal history
- Self-assessment questions – our websites have a series of self-assessment questions that customers can use to help determine their level of play
- Additional support – our websites have links to a variety of external sources, so our customers have a range of options when seeking help and guidance for gaming
We want all our employees to be aligned with our responsible gaming objectives. To achieve this, we seek to raise awareness on socially responsible gaming from employee induction. All new customer-oriented employees are subject to advanced training on key regulations and guidelines, responsible gaming processes, as well as player assessment screening and soft-skill tools.
Additionally, all staff are subject to a mandatory bi-yearly refresher training. In 2017, refresher training courses took place in January and July.
Within our divisions, our staff, customer support and chat teams are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to ensure that our customers always have access to support should they feel they need it.
Raising awareness and support
We were a keen promoter of Responsible Gambling Week in 2017. To raise awareness of the campaign, and its ambitions to raise awareness of problem gambling, dedicated banners were put across all our sites and applications for our customers to see.
Beyond this, we have developed a strong working partnership with GamCare, the leading industry support and self-help charity and have been accredited with its Certification award. The GamCare Certification is awarded to organisations that have successfully implemented the ‘GamCare Code of Conduct for Remote Platforms’. GamCare has commended our approach to responsible gaming and confirmed that our websites maintain the highest levels of responsible gaming standards.
We also support the Responsible Gambling Trust and make annual donations across all of our divisions. The Responsible Gambling Trust co-ordinates and funds research into the prevention of gambling-related harm in the UK.
Looking ahead, we look forward to integrating the UK’s National Online Self-Exclusion Scheme (GAMSTOP). We are also preparing for the second part of the Gambling Commission of Great Britain Remote Technical Standards to launch in April 2018, which will enable us to display available balances more clearly, improve access to balance and transaction history and clarify betting amounts.
We pride ourselves on putting the player at the forefront of everything that we do, including by ensuring that our affiliate marketing meets our regulatory obligations. All affiliates are required to sign up to our affiliate programme terms and conditions, and we work closely with our affiliate network reminding to remind them of their obligations.
We have procedures and strict controls in place to help ensure that our advertising fully adheres to the Gambling Industry Code for Socially Responsible Advertising, which is governed and administered by CAP, the Broadcast Committee of Advertising Practice (BCAP) and ruled upon by the ASA. Our legal teams provide
advice, guidance and final sign-off in respect of marketing and promotional activities to ensure compliance with all relevant advertising codes of practices mentioned above. In particular, we seek to ensure that our advertisements:
- are legal and not misleading;
- are socially responsible as described in the CAP and BCAP Codes;
- do not exploit children and other vulnerable persons in relation to gambling activity;
- are not specifically or intentionally targeted towards people under the age of 18; and
- are only sent to those customers who have opted in to receiving marketing communications
Given the fluid nature of advertising regulation, we circulate various guidance notes and updates to the business on a regular basis to ensure that they are kept up to date on the latest regulatory position.
Beyond this, we also operate a sophisticated member due diligence process (referred to as ‘Know Your Customer’ or ‘KYC’), which uses both automated and manual methods to verify a member’s age, identity and source of funds. Our KYC process is fundamental to our integrity system, and an important component of our age verification and anti-money laundering policies and practices.